3 Tips To Improve Your Posture
Updated: Jun 4, 2020
So, you know you need to work on your posture. You've seen pictures of yourself and thought "I had no idea my posture was that bad".
You've tried to sit better at work a couple of times, but it just didn't seem to stick.
Why is good posture so important? Your Mum's been bugging you about it for years, but why should you care?
Well as it turns out, your Mother was right - Posture is Important!
1.It Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly.
2.It helps decrease the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces.Decreases the stress on the ligaments holding the joints of the spine together.
3.It prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions.Prevents fatigue because muscles are being used more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy.
4.It prevents backache and muscular pain.
5. It contributes to a good appearance and positive body language.
So now you know why the dreaded "P word" is actually something you need to take seriously.
With that in mind, lets run through a few of the best Physiotherapy exercises designed to target postural muscles. All you need is your body and a towel.
1. Sit in your office chair (yes that's right, you can do this one at work- no excuses)
2. Pull your shoulder blades back and down. The down part is KEY!
3. Hold for 10 seconds at the bottom.
4. Repeat 5 times
5. Repeat 3 times daily
1. Sitting or standing, make a double chin.
2. When you make the chin, take your head directly back, without tilting it back or down
3. Hold at the end for 5 seconds
4. Repeat this 5 times
5. Do this at least 2 times daily
Back arch over a towel.
1. Roll up a towel and place it on the ground
2. Lie on your back over the towel (towel around your mid-back area)
3. hold the extension for up to 30 seconds.
4. Repeat 3 times at 3 different levels.
Remember if you have any questions or any medical concerns that make these exercises too hard to do, contact your physio or health professional